Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Am I qualified to employ a foreign domestic worker?

To employ a maid (FDW), you must be a Singaporean, PR or a foreigner holding a valid work permit in Singapore, be 21 years and above, not be an undischarged bankrupt and have the mental capacity to fully understand and discharge your responsibility as an employer. The Ministry of Manpower (MOM), who is in charge of this issue, will also consider your financial ability to hire (minimum wages $30,000 per annum), maintain and upkeep the FDW in an acceptable accommodation.

For further details, you may visit MOM website at this link:

What is Employers’ Orientation Programme (EOP)?

You will need to attend the Employers' Orientation Programme (EOP) if you are hiring a foreign domestic worker for the first time or have changed workers frequently

What is Settling-In-Programme (SIP)? How much it costs?

The Settling-In Programme (SIP) is a 1-day orientation programme for first-time FDWs to educate them on safety precautions and living in Singapore.

The topics covered include:

  1. Introduction to Singapore
  2. Employment conditions
  3. Safety at home
  4. Safety in other areas
  5. Relationship and stress management

SIP costs $75 (including GST), bearable by the FDW’s employer

What is levy? How much it cost?

MOM prescribed that the employers shall pay the levy for their FDWs through GIRO every month. The levy is $265(normal) or $60(Concessionary).

To be eligible for levy concessionary rate, you must be hiring the FDW to care for young children or grandchildren (12 years or below), to care for the elderly (Singaporean aged 65 years and above) or to care for MOM recognized disabilities.

What is security deposit? How much is it?

The security deposit (in the form of a bond) is a binding pledge to pay the government up to an amount of S$5000 if the employer breaches the law or conditions governing the employment of a FDW (the requirement does not apply if the FDW is a Malaysian). Bonds are usually facilitated in the form of insurance. In the event of a breach, the insurer pays the government and the insurer will pursue after the employer.

Do I need to buy insurance for my foreign domestic worker (FDW)?

Employers are mandated by MOM to purchase adequate insurance for their FDWs for it is the employer’s responsibility to bear the medical expenses of their FDWs. The minimum coverage for medical is S$15,000 per year (inpatient care and day surgery while in Singapore) and minimum coverage for personal accident of S$40,000.

When should I send my foreign domestic worker (FDW) for a medical check-up?

Pre-employment medical examination for FDW - You need to send your FDW for a medical examination before her Work Permit is issued.

Six-monthly medical examination (6ME) for FDW - During your FDW's employment, you must send her for a medical screening every six months. This medical examination screens for pregnancy and infectious diseases such as syphilis, HIV, and tuberculosis.

Who should bear the air-ticket costs when my FDW wants to go home?

If FDW wants to go back home within the two-year employment contract, the employer is responsible for the air-ticket costs. However, for overseas leave, the employment contract would have stipulated who should bear the air-ticket cost. In the absence of such a clause in the contract, the parties should come to a mutually agreed solution.

How can I interview the FDWs who are not in Singapore?

Advance Link International provides skype services for employers to interview the FDWs who are not in Singapore. Once the employer has decided to hire the FDW, we will proceed with all the required documentation.

How fast can your maid come into Singapore?

After approval is obtained from MOM, it will be about one week for Indonesia/Myanmar FDWs and one to two months for Philippines FDWs.

How long does it take for a foreign domestic worker (FDW) to start working?

If the processing is smooth, we estimate it will take between one to four weeks from the time the FDW arrives in Singapore (undergoes training) to the time she starts work at the employer’s home. The length of time depends on where the FDW is from.

Where are the foreign domestic workers (FDW) from?

We have sources from Indonesia, the Philippines and Myanmar, all of which are approved source countries by MOM for FDW deployment in Singapore.

How much is the salary for the foreign domestic worker (FDW)?

The FDW’s salary varies depending on their nationality, experience, linguistic ability and working capability. For Myanmar FDW, the basic salary starts from $450, for Indonesian FDW it is $550, whereas for Filipinos it is $580.

How do we collect our agency fees?

Only one-time fees will be collected. All third-party fees to be paid by the employer include FDW mandated insurances, Settling-In Programme (SIP) fee, FDW medical fee and MOM documentation processing fees. We provide the best-qualified FDWs (the top 10% - 20%) for your selection.

Are there any charges for replacement?

We do not charge extra fees for maid replacement within a year. However, the employer is required to pay all third-party fees (FDW mandated insurances, Settling-In Programme (SIP) fee, FDW medical fee and MOM documentation processing fees).

How many replacements am I entitled to?

You are allowed to make replacements until you are satisfied. Please call us at
+65 63343003 for more information.

Can foreign domestic workers (FDW) work without off days and no hand phone?

Yes, but you would be required to make monetary compensation to the FDW for not having off day(s). You may choose to allow the FDW to call home once a week with the HI card once or twice every month.

How much do I need to pay for 1 off day?

This is calculated based on their monthly salary, divided by 26 days.

Are foreign domestic workers (FDWs) allowed to have part-time job(s)?

No! It is illegal for FDWs to have part-time job(s).

Can foreign domestic workers (FDWs) work in 2 houses, hawker centres or offices?

No. According to MOM’s rules and regulations, FDWs can only work in premises that are stated on the work permit.

Can I place my foreign domestic worker (FDW) at my friend or relative’s house while we go for holidays?

No. FDW is only allowed to work and reside at the address stated on her work permit. Alternatively, you may want to place her at our agency’s training centre for further training during your absence.

Can I place my foreign domestic worker (FDW) in your agency while we go for holidays? How much is it charged?

Yes. The charge is $20 per day.

Can I employ a foreign domestic worker (FDW) to take care of my parents at their place during the day?

No. We will advise the employer to apply for FDW under their parents’ name.

Will your company provide training for foreign domestic workers (FDWs) after their arrival in Singapore?

Yes. We will train the FDW according to your specifications provided in the ‘duties form’ completed by you. If you need the FDW to prepare special dishes (such as Chinese, Malay or Western dishes) we will provide the FDW with the recipes training, alongside caretaking of elderlies or disabled person training etc.

There are rumours that foreign domestic workers (FDWs) are required to stay in dormitories.

This is unlikely as the arrangement may contribute to social issues and problems. On top of that, it may be tiring and time-consuming for FDWs to commute daily to and from employers’ home. This may also cause inconvenience to employers. The arrangement may seem commendable (as it provides FDW with more free time), but is not practical when operated.

Do I need to be at the airport or somewhere else to pick-up my foreign domestic worker (FDW) upon her arrival?

No. You won’t have to. Our agency provides pick up service at the airport. All you need to do is to pick her up at our office when she is ready for collection.

Can your foreign domestic workers (FDWs) speak English, Mandarin or dialects?

They can speak simple English but their learning abilities are strong. They can pick up English or Mandarin within 3 to 4 months. We do have FDWs who are able to speak dialect, do drop by our office to find out more.

Why can’t we receive foreign domestic workers’ (FDWs) data via email from Advance Link International Pte Ltd?

Our FDWs are in high demand and they are usually confirmed by prospective employers quite quickly. To avoid disappointments, we encourage prospective employers to drop by our office to interview and select the FDW themselves.

Are you the one who chooses the FDW from Indonesia or do you take them from local agencies?

We work very closely with our overseas partner to get good quality FDWs. The ultimate selection is decided by us via Skype interviews.

What are the modes of payments that you accept?

We accept cash, NETS, VISA, cheque and credit card payment.

How are our part-time domestic workers charged?

Depending on the size of your property, the charges may vary. Our part-time FDWs only work on weekdays. Special request such as weekend part time FDWs can be arranged. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

What information do I need to provide if I wish to hire part-time domestic workers?

We will need to know the specific requirements (the work to be performed, preferred characteristics and any other relevant factors) of the part-time domestic worker you are seeking. Information about the size and environment of your house would be useful (landed property, condominium or HDB).

How much do you charge for part-time domestic workers?

It depends. Our part-time domestic workers’ fee starts from S$18 per hour.

Will I get replacement(s) if I’m not satisfied with the current part-time domestic worker?

Replacement is subjected to terms and conditions. You can call us for further information.

Our contact number is: +65 6334 3003.

Can I request my part-time domestic worker to cook or do laundry for my family?

Our part-time domestic worker only performs household chores. If you need someone to prepare meals and do the laundry, please contact us for further discussion. We can be reached at +65 6334 3003.

What is the age range of your part-time domestic workers?

Our part-time domestic workers are aged between 40 and 65, are either PR or Singaporean as they are allowed and privileged to render such service, free of any repercussions.

Why choose Advance Link International Pte. Ltd.?

We provide personal and customized service. As a pioneer and one of the highly reliable licensed employment agencies in Singapore, we have been in operation for 3 decades, constantly striving to fulfill your requests and provide value-added services. Our professional consultants screen and interview Foreign Domestic Workers (FDW) thoroughly before getting their biodatas ready for your selection. Most of them can be interviewed via Skype or telephone efficiently, thus reduces your selection process cost.

What is FDW levy and how much is it?

As per MOM regulation, employers are required to pay the FDW monthly levy. The amount per month is S$265 (normal) or S$60 (concessionary). Levy payment should be made via GIRO only. As an employer, you may be eligible for concessionary rate if you are under any of these schemes: Young child or grandchild scheme, Aged person scheme and Person with disabilities scheme set by MOM. For further details, you may visit the MOM website at:

Can FDWs work without mobile phones?

Depending on family request, this can be arranged before the deployment of FDW. We encourage the usage of mobile phone only after completion of assigned chores. Browsing social networks during working hours is discouraged.

Are FDWs awarded a rest day?

Depending on the family request, this can be arranged before the deployment of FDW. FDWs are entitled to additional pays for working the on rest day.